9/9/10

Canning Tomatoes

In case you ever wanted to try, I thought I would give you a quick rundown on how to can tomatoes. This was my first time doing it, and it was pretty easy. I made 16 quarts with a little less than 40 lbs. of tomatoes. And I decided to pack them in their own juice instead of water. The main difference in the canning time, and I think their flavor may be a little stronger when I go to use them.

First you have to blanch the tomatoes for 30-60 seconds or until the skin cracks.


Then you remove the skin and leave whole, half, or quarter them. I left them whole. When you are canning them in their own juice, you just push the tomatoes down into the jar until their own juice comes up around them. ( before you add the tomatoes prepare the jars and add the other specified ingredients that the recipe call for)


seal the jars, and cook in a hot water bath for 1 hr and 25 min, or use a pressure cooker. (That is my next adventure to try)


Now you have some deliciously canned tomatoes to use in your favorite recipe! HERE is a good one to try.





1 comment:

  1. oooohhh, I want to do this! So are there any other things that need to go into the jars? Just the whole tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete